One invaluable feature of modern computers is the ability to boot from removable storage such as USB flash drives and external hard drives. Despite this feature’s availability, it isn’t easily utilised because there isn’t any native support available in Microsoft Windows (which as of 2012, is still the most common Operating System in the world).
We came across a great application called UNetbootin. It allows you to ‘burn’ an ISO image to a USB flash drive.
Download here: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/)
To ‘burn’ an ISO image to the USB flash drive, follow these instructions:
- Install it as you would any other application.
- Load UNetbootin from your start menu.
- Select the Disk Image (second option down).
- Select ISO from the drop down.
- Click the three periods to browse for an ISO image.
- Make sure the Type is set to USB drive and the letter corresponds correctly.
- Click OK.
- The process will take a while, so grab a cup of tea!
You can also use UNetbootin to create Linux live boot disks.